Monday, December 15, 2008

Holiday Themed Novel Contest

photo courtesy of chicks57


The folks at Ellora's Cave Publishing are holding a contest to find your favorite holiday themed novel. Check out the post on their blog for details.

The contest is limited to fiction published after 1970 and there are prizes to boot. You've got until December 22nd to post comments on their blog listing author and title and a paragraph or two about the story and why it is your holiday favorite.

After 1970 is tough for me. Most everything I think of relating to the holidays is in movie form. Christmas Vacation, Christmas Eve on Sesame Street (yes... you got a problem with that), Muppet Family Christmas (so, see previous answer), Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas. Those are all my favorites. It just dawned on me. As much as I read, I don't think I've ever read a Christmas-themed book. Point me in the right direction...

I'm not a scrooge about the holidays. It's just that I think holidays are a time to be with family. I can't do that with my nose stuck in a book. And it seems senseless to read a holiday book say...during June. Instead, we pop in our favorite movies and enjoy the evening as a family. But writer friends, I promise I'm an avid reader the rest of the year. You can ask Borders and Barnes and Noble. They know me well.

I'll have to check back after the contest and see who the winner is. Maybe I'll ask Santa to put the winning book in my stocking.

No comments: