Friday, August 1, 2008

Chapter by Chapter....

slowly I edit. I made it to Chapter 9. It's amazing to me that I wrote the darn thing quicker than I am able to edit it. And my protagonist is plotting against me (pun intended.) She's finished with this portion of her life and ready to move on. So I'm having to rein her in. She might be in for a surprise if I throw a kink in her plans long about Chapter 15.

It kind of reminds me of the movie Stranger Than Fiction. Did you see it? It's about a guy who figures out he's the character in a novel. The writer is plotting to kill him off. I've never been a big Will Ferrell fan (sorry Will), but he is so funny in this movie. And Emma Thompson, as the author is, great.

If you haven't seen it, get thee to the nearest movie rental store and check it out. My BIL and SIL recommended it. After I saw it my BIL and I plotted about what would have happened if the character had tried to get even and kill the author. Well, if the author was writing it, then she would know the character was plotting and if the character was plotting and the author was having him do so, was she then plotting her own suicide.... Get the drift. Several emails ensued where we schemed what the character and writer would do. And honest, we weren't drinking.

Does your character's behavior surprise you?

No comments: