Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Day 4 NaNoWriMo

photo courtesy of Hilarywho

Yes, Virginia there really was a Day 3. However, I barely made my word count. Needless to say I did not blog.

Day 3 was torture. My character is boring! It's hard to be funny in the face of murder, but she needs to lighten up.

Yesterday I worked for every word I put on the page. I struggled, but true to NaNo, I did not edit. Me thinks that is why I struggled. I know my character too well. As I would type a sentence, my internal editor screamed from inside the desk drawer, "she would not do that. Make her stop. She is not that stupid. Give her a funny line. Make the cop kiss her, you doofus."

I threw chocolate in the drawer, she shut up and I continued to type. I made it through Day 3.

Day 4, a tad better. I got to the point in the story where my character's personality is starting to shine through. (The only sounds that came from my desk drawer were moans of pleasure. I'm hoping it was the chocolate or it could have been the Chippendale calendar I threw in there. Whatever! At least she isn't screaming at me.)

My word count...are you ready (drumroll sounds) 10,140. k9friend1 and maryji are still beating me. But as my professor daughter pointed out, "They are probably writing crap. It's much easier to make your word count when you throw down a bunch of crap." Did I say how much I love my professor daughter. Little does she know how much crap dear old mom is writing.

Ah, but that is what NaNo is all about.......writing. Letting the words flow onto the computer screen. Foregoing contractions. Adding every adverb and adjective in the dictionary and never, ever hyphenating a word. I can clean all that up in December :)

I promised a little widget on the side so you could keep up with my word count. . . it's broken. Rest assured the brain trust at NaNoWriMo is working on it. So when you see it, you'll know it's fixed.

Oh, I need to give a shout out to my friend Barb, for taking me away from the computer today and listening to me carry on and complain. That's what friends are for!

So, how's your day going?

6 comments:

Pat Wahler said...

Tee-hee! Your professor daughter is absolutely correct! There's so much crap in my NaNo project it positively smells!

But I'm staying true to my outline (mostly) and NaNo's November motto: Quantity, not quality.

BECKY said...

Again....you have me laughing out loud!! OMG!! The chocolate and Chippendales!! When you get that book finished, I want to buy it!!

Tricia Sanders said...

K9friend,

I waver on my outline. But I never pass up an opportunity to zag, because you never know where it will take you. You can always zig back when the time is right.

Crap or now, you word count is inspiring. Keep it up!

Tricia Sanders said...

Becky,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll save a copy for you. You'll have to come up with your own chocolate and Chippendales. :)

Mary Ingmire said...

Foley catheter and write crap. Essential ingredients for winning NaNoWriMo.

Tricia Sanders said...

Mary,
Don't forget chocolate to keep the internal editor at bay.