Monday, October 27, 2008

Looking for a speaker for a writing conference??


Street in Quebec City



Hey, didn't mean to leave the lights off for so long.

October has been crazy. First part of the month, I went on a cruise to see the fall colors in New England and Canada. Instead of seeing colors, we out ran a hurricane (yeah in New England--who would have thunk?) Then our scenic cruising day on the St. Lawrence, it was so foggy we could barely see over the side of the ship. What gives with that?

But the gem of Quebec City was waiting for us. What a treat! If you've never been there, it is so worth the visit. It's not for the faint of heart. There are hills and winding streets, but around every corner, there's a neat little shop or cafe. I can't wait to go back.

The last part of the month I've was busy getting Saturday Writers annual fall workshop lined up. It was this past Saturday. We had a magnificent day. The weather was outstanding. Our speakers were awesome, and it's over. And the best part if next year someone else gets to plan it :)

If you're planning a workshop or conference I've got some names you might want to try. Krista Goering from The Krista Goering Literary Agency was our agent. She did a presentation in the morning and took pitches in the afternoon. She is a delightful woman, very friendly and outgoing. I would highly recommend her.

In the afternoon we had an editor panel that consisted of Anna Genoese, a freelance editor, Dr. Susan Swartwout from Southeast Missouri State University and Rebecca French Smith from Missouri Life magazine. All of these ladies did a great job and again and recommendation from me is in order.

My thanks to all our great speakers for taking the time from their schedule to spend the day with us and share their expertise.

On a side note, my writing friends have convinced me to set the current novel aside for the month while I take Sissy on another adventure. That's what I'm going to do. I've been at this one for almost a year now and it seems like I've read it a thousand times, probably because I have. Plus I need a break because I have this huge new plot line in my head and it keeps distracting me. Once I get it on paper, I think I will be better able to go back finalize my first one.

I'm gearing up for NaNoWriMo which starts November 1st. I'm not going to be as active on here, but will be trying to post my results daily and give the rest of you a little pep talk. You know, if I can write 50,008 words in a month so can you. So, freeze up a bunch of meals, buy scads of chocolate, wash up all the laundry and pull up a chair. The writing is about to begin. AND I can't wait.

Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: