Monday, April 14, 2008

Conference Buzz

Wow! The Missouri Writer's Guild just wrapped up. I'm pumped. There's nothing like a conference to get the ink flowing in my veins. I don't know if it's the speakers, rubbing elbows with agents and editors or the alcohol, but I always come away from a conference motivated.

I have to give a shout to NAOMI SHIHAB NYE. When I first saw in the conference brochure that our keynote speaker was a poet, I thought Arrrrrgh. I'm not a poet, don't want to write poetry and don't read poerty. Well, guess what. She's an amazing speaker and her poetry is awesome. So, if you don't write poetry, don't shy away from listening to poets. Naomi blew away all my misconceptions about poets and poetry. She was a delightful speaker, and I would go back just to hear her.

Now go buy her book Honeybee and you'll see what I mean.

2 comments:

zeldadg said...

Yeah. I have a total girl-crush on Naomi.

I think I'll link to your post if it's o.k. I want everyone to know how fabulous she is.

Tricia Sanders said...

Be my guest. I thought Naomi was awesome. My only complaint (not about her) was that the bookstore ran out of her books so quickly.